There are so many other ways to make money as an author. In fact, many authors make more money doing other thing than writing books. Advances can be very small. Some authors receive an advance as small as $3000.00. But the really smart authors know how to take this small advance and turn it into much more money so that you can make a living or at least supplement your income.
Leveraging your notable credibility as an "author", even if you're a self-published author can open up a lot of doors for you if you take advantage of the opportunities.
Let's explore a few ways you can make extra money in addition to your advance.:
1) Traditional Advance for World English Rights.
2) Exploiting foreign rights
3) Exploit your Film Rights
4) Exploit your Television Rights
5) Creating Creative Web or Internet Content
6) Create Speaking Fees Opportunities
7) Create Ebooks
8) Create Audio Products
9) Create Sponsored tours
10) Create Consultation Fees Opportunities
11) Get Hired for Panel Discussions
12) Become a Spokesperson
13) Book Shepherd
14) Become a Journalist
15) Create supplementary books for back in the room sales
16) Become a Radio Host
17) Become a Internet Columnist
18) Become a YouTube Star
Smart literary agencies are exploring other rights besides the fast buck from an advance or the slow drip of a royalty check and you should be exploring those rights too.