Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Literary Agent, Alyssa Eisner Henkin from Trident Literary Group Answers...

ALYSSA, HOW CAN A SIGNED WRITER KEEP YOUR ATTENTION WITHOUT DRIVING YOU CRAZY?

When I sign up a client he or she does not need to work to stay on my radar screen—he or she is there by function of being my client! I pride myself on being able to respond to his or her needs in a timely manner. If the project needs editorial work, as many projects do, before going out to editors on submission, I aim to get that client my editorial feedback as quickly as possible so that he or she doesn't loose time in waiting to revise the project. And once projects are out the door, I always keep clients abreast of editorial feedback and passes, as well as deals, so that they have a record of who has read their work. Once a client's work has sold and he or she is in the revising phases, I'm always on hand to make sure the relationship with the client's editor is going well. Since I used to be an editor I know how the publication side of the process works well, and so I'm able to give my two cents on marketing, jacket treatment, publicity, sequel ideas, and a variety of other things that often ensure a book's success in the marketplace.