Wednesday, November 12, 2008

GumboWriters: Sample Query Letter that Worked #23

Dear Melvin,

He shot himself in the chest when he was but 32. He'd lost his job, his home and his girlfriend, all at once. But I was the biggest loser of them all, I lost him. I lost my brother. From that moment on, my life began spiraling out of control. I found myself falling down, sinking into the self-defeating world of adult entertainment.

There were many times when I looked in the mirror that I didn't recognize myself. I knew she was in there, somewhere, but had somehow lost her way.

That's what inspired me to write my first novel Risky Lilies. The story of Fiona Dalton, who was forced into the world of adult entertainment at 16-years old by her very own mother, Scarlet. Her father is found tortured and murdered in a hotel room and Fiona must help police find the killer.

Imagine if Ann Rice wrote White Oleander (without the vampires) and you might have an idea of the flavor of Risky Lilies. Although this book is fictitious, it was inspired by the notorious child killer Dennis Melvin Howe, a man who has been on Canada's Most Wanted List for the past 25 years.

Melvin, although this is my first novel, I have written many articles for Heart Magazine, Burger Magazine and The Riverside News.

And by the way, I was able to turn my life around. I am no longer a victim of the adult entertainment industry. I am now one of Canada's most sought after female tattoo artists.

If you would like to take a look at Risky Lilies, please feel free to reach out to me.

Sincerely,
Kiki Thomas

____________________________________________________________
Jeff Rivera: Need help getting an agent? We'll help you craft the perfect query letter and send it to the right list of agents. We guarantee you will receive at least 10 reputable and legitimate literary agents requesting your work or your money back. Contact: gumbomarketing@gmail.com for more information.