Wednesday, November 12, 2008

GumboWriters: Sample Query Letter that Worked #22

Dear Bob,


I never thought I'd live long enough to write you this letter.  As I barely hung on to my life, the words "pain" and "terror" could not begin to describe what it was like to have my husband stab me multiple times.

I remember when I was on the Montel Williams show, I couldn't believe how far I'd come but I knew that I had to keep myself strong so that I could inspire other women and victims of abuse that they too can truly rise above it all. 

I needn't share with you the statistics of domestic abuse, we both know they're in the millions but what you may not realize is that there have been few books written about people who have succumbed to the level of abuse that I went through. Why? Because quite simply many did not live long enough to tell their story. 

I saw my very own mother murdered simply trying to defend me. Do you know what that does to someone? It is either breaks them or makes them stronger.  I chose the latter. 

The criminal system failed me and I saw this murderer walk away with a simple charge of assault.  But I refuse to give up and in my book; I share not only my story but how later I got justice through the civil court system.

Like Tina Turner's What's Love Got to Do With It and Amber Frey's Witness, my story is a powerful example of how anyone can overcome obstacles in their life and go from being victims to victors. 

Paired with my writing partner, domestic violence consultant, Henrique Iglo, we've created a proposal that we believe you would really enjoy.  Stephanie has written multiple newspaper articles in Las Vegas as well as the Business Chronicles.  She has also written the book Punish Me No More; a book of resources and survival stories. People Magazine has also pursued me to tell my story but we would rather wait until we have our book published.

 

If you would like to take a look at my book, please feel free to respond.


Sincerely,
Elena Peterson

____________________________________________________________
Jeff Rivera: Need help getting an agent? We'll help you craft the perfect query letter and send it to the right list of agents. We guarantee you will receive at least 10 reputable and legitimate literary agents requesting your work or your money back. Contact: gumbomarketing@gmail.com for more information.