Wednesday, November 12, 2008

GumboWriters: Sample Query Letter that Worked #19

Dear Timothy,

There were times when I didn't know if I would wake up in the morning. I was going through a nasty custody battle, my ex-husband had left me practically destitute, uneducated, raising my twin daughters, virtually jobless and going through a hell I thought only possible in the movies. I was 37-years old, happily married and then one day the rug was pulled from under me. I needed a way out and a way up and I found it in education.

With record numbers of unemployment in the United States, many people are going back to school more than ever to retrain. But many, especially women, are faced with the predicament of how to handle their children, their spouses and still find the money and time to do so.

    My name is Spring Winters, (yes, that really is my name) and I am known as one of the leading experts in going back to school. Despite all that I went through, I pulled myself up by my own boot straps and got my degree in not only journalism but creative writing.  In fact, I've been invited to speak all over the country about the subject to high schools, colleges, women's organizations as well as corporations.

2.5 million people are reading my article in AMERICA MAGAZINE's Distance Learning section.  In fact, there is talk that this will become a regular column. I have also been published in the American Chronicle, Dander Magazine as well as national magazines such as Tropical Travel & Life as well as, of course, the AMERICA MAGAZINE.

In my book, The 40-Year Old Student, I navigate potential adult students through the entire process.  It is a blue print to going back to college. My book takes them from searching for colleges to graduation. I address their specific needs such as childcare, academia, and finances.

    My book is different than any other book on going to college because it speaks to the adult student who faces life challenges and obstacles. This book is written for those with the not so perfect life. Whether they be disadvantaged, a disabled veteran, the welfare Mom, or the divorced single parent, this book is for them.

I faced extreme adversity when I went to college as an adult student I was in a state of financial ruin and in the mist of an emotional custody battle. I juggled with working, court, visiting my kids four states away, and yet maintained I my grades.  Throughout, this book I use my life as an example of, if I can do it you can do it.

If you would like to take a look at my proposal for The 40-Year Old Student, feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,
Spring Winters