Monday, November 10, 2008

GumboWriters Successful Query Letter Sample #6

Dear Mr. Campell:

Sitting in an airplane heading back home from Texas to Miami, I couldn't believe what had happened. All I knew was that one man was badly wounded, another most likely dead.

I racked my brain, the memories rushing in faster than I could discard them -- I had done just like my father had taught me, I took my time, aimed, and squeezed the trigger. I could still hear the sound of his body hitting the floor and the blood splatter on the wall behind him. A part of me had died, back in Texas. Worst than anything, pulling that trigger had made me become something I had always feared, more like my father.

LIKE FATHER LIKE SON, my first novel, tells the story of the silent pain suffered by a Latino child, who was expected to keep the true crime secrets of a father who was a hit man for the mafia. Secrets that could have ruined his life and the life of those he loved. Secrets he feared would define his life as they did his fathers. A father who for the most part of his life he feared rather than loved. Through the many trips across the desert a bond develops a friendship is started and love that only a son and father can share grows. But when his father's life is threaten he is faced with a choice, does he pick up a gun and save his fathers life or....

I am Cuban-American and have writing in some form or another for almost 20 years. I received my vocational certificate for adult education through Nebraska International University which I used to teach television production on the high school and college level. And because of this, I have built strong relationships with my students who have gone on to become producers and editors with major media outlets. These are substantial contacts in the English and Spanish media (Telemundo, Univision, CNN, TIME Magazine, etc.) and they all have agreed to book me on their shows and and publications as I promote the novel.

If you would like to see a copy of LIKE FATHER LIKE SON please contact me at:

Warm Regards
Jessie Johnson

____________________________________________________________
Jeff Rivera: Need help getting an agent? We'll help you craft the perfect query letter and send it to the right list of agents. We guarantee you will receive at least 10 reputable and legitimate literary agents requesting your work or your money back. Contact: gumbomarketing@gmail.com for more information.