GumboWriters Interview with Literary Agent, Uwe Stender from TriadaUS Agency
1. How did you get started as an agent? I've been agenting for 4 years. I have a Ph.D. in literature and had done some editing before. I had been thinking about a career in publishing for a long time and over the years I had also been fortunate to meet some successful people in the publishing industry who mentored me as I was exploring that career path. When the right time came for me to start my agency, I was set up and well prepared to go.
2. What does your agency do that others do not? We strive to do all those things well that other agencies do well...so what makes us different is probably our response policy. We respond to all queries and we respond to them quickly. But I am sure other agencies do as well, so I don't know how truly different that is.
3. What are you looking for more of that you're not getting? What most agents are looking for: In fiction, I would love to see more brilliantly written mystery fiction, women's fiction, YA and literary fiction with a unique voice, great characters and an imaginative plot. In nonfiction, I am really open to everything, but in particular, I would like to see more popular science, pop culture and narrative nonfiction...preferably incredibly well-written by authors with huge platforms (smile)! I know this probably does not sound very helpful and like a "standard" response, but these would be the ideal submissions.
4. What are you tired of receiving? Maybe queries where the to: line in the email lists hundreds of other agents who are addressed simultaneously, that is just so lazy by the author that I don't care what is in the email body, I will reject it immediately.
5. How can new writers hook you? Send me an ideal submission as described in my answer to the third question.
6. How can clients stay on your radar without driving you insane? My clients can NEVER drive me insane. I am always approachable to them.
7. What about you do writers seem to not realize about you as an agent that you wish they would? About me? I have no idea. I guess it is less about me than about this industry. I think many writers don't truly grasp how incredibly competitive this industry is and, consequently, how great their writing has to be (particularly in fiction) and how much (in nonfiction) platform truly matters.
8. How can writers contact you? Email me or snail mail me.
In 2004 I was broke, I was depressed and I was confused about my life. I had this crazy idea that I could write a novel, self-publish it and somehow win a million to one odds to have it picked up by a major publisher. I was down to my last few coins, my last packet of Ramen Noodles and trying to choose between riding the bus or buying another packet of Ramen Noodles. But I decided to go for it anyway.
I wrote the novel, based on a screenplay that had already been rejected numerous times by Hollywood, called Forever My Lady. I took my last few bucks printed off as many copies as I could and set out to promote the book the only way I could afford, online.
Trial and error, I was going to succeed even if that meant "failing my way to the top". It worked. Soon, I had over 8000 people that had read Forever My Lady either online or in print, I landed an agent and within 7 days I had an offer from Warner Books/Grand Central Publishing.
This is my story. This is my way of giving back. If you're struggling wondering what to do next, how to promote your book, whether to publish or self-publish, wondering how to land an agent, this website is for you.
It is filled with writing tips, blog articles, interviews with editors and agents and tons of tips on how to promote your book using low cost and zero cost techniques that actually work.
We also offer a way to get our assistance either as a personal coach to you or to hire Gumbo Marketing to do your entire promotional campaign for an affordable monthly fee. Why pay $5000-20,000 on a campaign when you're trying t figure out how to pay rent. We're here to help people like that as well.
Take a look, explore and enjoy the website. If there's anything we can do to help you, contact us at: GumboMarketing@Gmail.com