Tuesday, November 25, 2008

GumboWriters Interview with Neil J. Salkind, (Phd.) with The Salkind Agency

How long have you been agent and how did you get your start Neil?
I have been doing this about 12 years, starting as an author represented by StudioB (as I am still) and I guess I had some nay ideas for the boss, that he suggested I do it myself! I now run the spin off from StudioB named The Salkind Agency where we represent general non-fiction.

What makes your agency different than any others?
Having written over 100 trade and text books, I very well understand what ti takes for a writer to prepare a proposal that gets noticed. All gents know who to send a proposal to (or should), but what we send them scrams for attention and really makes the point why this proposal is one that should at least be carefully looked at.

What are you looking for specifically that you wish you would see more of?
Unfortunately, good idea are not enough today. I want to see those ideas, backed by someone who has some notoriety and can write well, to say nothing of having a passion for what they do.

Neil what are you tired of receiving?
Nothing - everyone has something to say and if they can say it well, ti will at least get my attention.

How can a new writer get your attention in a good way?
A well written query (tons of examples of the Internet) followed up by a good proposal and greats ample chapters.

How can a signed writer stay in your radar without driving you insane?
I regularly communicate with all my writers and we are all well aware of boundaries (not midnight phone calls for example) such that we can communicate hen necessary. I look writers to be involved since they often bring ideas and possibilities that I have not thought of.

What do you wish more writers understood about you as an agent Neil that they don't seem to?
Only that it takes a great deal of time for editors who have their material, to respond to my queries.


What's the best way for a writer to reach you?
neil@studiob.com