Wednesday, November 12, 2008

GumboWriters: Sample Query Letter that Worked #32

Dear Doris:

 

I was in mid-life crisis. My children had left the nest, my Bail Bonds business partner had just died in a freak helicopter crash and every female relative that ever meant anything to me had died long before her time. I was unhappy, confused and despondent and knew I needed a change.  

 

The field of Private Investigation was a men's only club filled with gumshoes, ex-cops, and cigar-smoking chauvinists and it had been that way for decades. My friends called me crazy. But within weeks, I had enrolled in Criminology 101and added 'middle-aged' P.I. to the role of wife and mother.

 

For more than 25 years, I have not only beaten the odds of working in a male-dominated field, but have somehow become one of the most successful and sought after female undercover private investigators in the United States. 

 

In my book proposal for Sexy P.I. I reveal how I single-handedly solved the most baffling cases, repeatedly putting both my family and me in danger. The most extreme cases include being held hostage in a remote cabin, investigating a successful businessman in Miami , who was believed to be a child molester, and preventing a former Nazi from swindling a wealthy, but vulnerable woman. And yet with all of the excitement of a cops-and-robbers movie, I still maintained my role as wife and mother.

 

Today, although there are those who consider me a "senior," I still manage to jet-set around the world on assignments. Undercover work, both fascinating and dangerous, allowed me to infiltrate billion-dollar organizations, chase down million-dollar thieves, lock-up child-molesters, investigate terrorist suspects and still make it home on time to bake cookies for my grandkids.

 

In addition to being a private investigator, I also write for the United Newspaper.  If you would like to take a look at my proposal for Sexy P.I. feel free to contact me at: xxx@yahoo.com or call: 212-555-5555.

 

Sincerely,

Paula Peters

____________________________________________________________
Jeff Rivera: Need help getting an agent? We'll help you craft the perfect query letter and send it to the right list of agents. We guarantee you will receive at least 10 reputable and legitimate literary agents requesting your work or your money back. Contact: gumbomarketing@gmail.com for more information.