Monday, November 10, 2008

GumboWriters Successful Query Letter Sample #8

Dear Carmen,

I was born with drugs in my veins. They didn't know if I would live or die in that ER but I survived. Though I battled with a severe form of learning disability that left me illiterate until the age of 10 and I lost my mother from a drug addiction at 12, I never gave up my dream of becoming an author.

Even though I'm a teenager, I know first-hand what it's like to overcome insurmountable obstacles but nothing like my main character, Britney goes through in my debut novel, VEINS EVERLASTING. She discovers Adrian, the love of her life, is actually a serial killer, but worst yet, a vampire.

Now Carmen, before you think this is just another vampire love story, let me just stop you there -- This is a paranormal romantic thriller with urban fantasy tendencies; a book with the appeal of Twlight, the complexity and depth of Anne Rice and the sass of well, me.

I wrote it when I was 15-years-old because none the YA books I read had the depth I was looking for. It's true and before you say "Ah, how cute" and send me a link to the Writer's Market, let me just tell you that being a teenager allows me to know on a grassroots level how my demographic feels. And BLOOD BOND features a romantic protagonist that is allowed to truly be a vampire. He is not just Prince Charming with fangs.

I'd love for you to take a look at VEINS EVERLASTING yourself to see how different it really is, Carmen. If you're interested please send word.

Sincerely,
Ming Kim

____________________________________________________________
Jeff Rivera: Need help getting an agent? We'll help you craft the perfect query letter and send it to the right list of agents. We guarantee you will receive at least 10 reputable and legitimate literary agents requesting your work or your money back. Contact: gumbomarketing@gmail.com for more information.